Download Link and Changelog: Windows 11 Update KB5016691
Microsoft has now released optional Windows 11 update KB5016691 (Build 22000.918) for all devices running Windows 11. Update KB5016691 brings new features for security, remote work for IT administrators, and SMB compression.
The new security feature improves Microsoft Defender for Endpoint’s ability to identify and intercept ransomware and advanced attacks. The new IT admin feature provides the ability to add languages and language-related features remotely.
Update KB5016691 (Build 22000.918) also provides the ability to compress a file regardless of its size if you have Server Message Block (SMB) compression configured. There are many improvements and fixes for Windows 11 issues, including fixes for File Explorer, Search, and many other issues. Here is the complete changelog of KB5016691 update in terms of new features, fixes and improvements.
This non-security update includes quality improvements. The main changes include:
- New! Gives IT admins the ability to add languages and language-related features remotely. Additionally, they can now manage language scenarios across multiple terminal managers.
- New! Compresses a file regardless of its size if you have configured Server Message Block (SMB) compression.
- New! Improves Microsoft Defender for Endpoint’s ability to identify and intercept ransomware and advanced attacks.
- Fixes an issue that causes ServerAssignedConfigurations be null in a few full configuration scenarios.
- Addresses an issue that affects automatic high dynamic range (auto HDR) functionality for cross-adapter resource scan-out (CASO) compatible GPU drivers.
- Addresses a known issue that causes Microsoft Edge to become unresponsive when using IE mode. This issue also prevents you from interacting with a dialog box.
- Addresses an issue that prevents Microsoft Office App-V virtualized applications from opening or not working.
- Addresses an issue that may cause Windows Hello for Business certificate deployment to fail under certain circumstances after a device reset.
- Resolves several issues with USB printing such as:
- A printer malfunctions after it is restarted or reinstalled
- Being in the wrong mode after switching from an Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) class driver to an Independent Hardware Vendor (IHV) driver
- Two-way communication issues that prevent you from accessing device features
- Addresses an issue that affects the ProjectionManager.StartProjectingAsync APIs. This issue prevents certain locales from connecting to Miracast Sinks.
- Addresses an issue that degrades BitLocker performance.
- Addresses an issue that prevents Windows 11 SE from trusting certain Microsoft Store apps.
- Addresses an issue that prevents HyperVisor Code Integrity from being automatically enabled on systems with Arm64 processors.
- Addresses an issue that prevents non-Windows devices from authenticating. This issue occurs when they connect to a remote Windows desktop and use a smart card to authenticate.
- Addresses an issue that causes the Resultant Set of Strategy tool (Rsop.msc) to stop working when processing 1000 or more “File System” security settings.
- Fixes an issue that causes the Take a Test app to remove all policies related to the lock app when you close the app.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the Settings application from working on server domain controllers (DCs) when accessing the Privacy > Activity history page.
- Fixed an issue that could cause some Bluetooth headsets to stop playing after adjusting the progress bar. This issue affects modern systems that support Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) offloading.
- Addresses an issue that prevents devices from receiving an offer from Windows Update for the same extension driver when that extension driver is already installed without the base driver.
- Addresses a race condition that prevents the Local Security Authority Subsystem (LSASS) service from functioning on Active Directory domain controllers. This issue occurs when LSASS concurrently processes Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) requests over Transport Layer Security (TLS) that fail to decrypt. The exception code is 0xc0000409 (STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN).
- Addresses an issue that affects finding a non-existent security ID (SID) from the local domain using a read-only domain controller (RODC). Search unexpectedly returns error STATUS_TRUSTED_DOMAIN_FAILURE instead of STATUS_NONE_MAPPED or STATUS_SOME_MAPPED.
- Addresses an issue that could cause the Local Security Authority Server Service (LSASS) to leak tokens. This issue affects devices that have Windows Updates dated June 14, 2022 or later installed. This issue occurs when the device is running a specific form of service for user (S4U) in a non-Trusted Computing Base (TCB) Windows service that is running as a network service.
If you have installed previous updates, only the new updates contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
You can manually download and install Windows 11 update KB5016691 by clicking here. If you need help understanding how to install these updates manually on your PC, you can refer to our noob-friendly step-by-step tutorial.