Fix Oculus Link black screen or not working
Are you facing black screen problem with Oculus Link software on Windows PC? Here are the solutions that will help you fix the problem.
Oculus link is a desktop application that allows users to play Oculus Rift content on Quest 2. However, many Oculus users have reported encountering a black screen whenever they try to launch a VR game. Some of the affected users even encountered the same issue in the middle of the gameplay. It just makes the whole application unusable. If you are having the same problem, this guide is for you. In this guide, we are going to discuss the solutions that will help you fix the issue on your Windows PC.
What causes the black screen issue with Oculus software?
Before moving on to the fixes to resolve the issue, let’s try to understand what can cause the black screen issues with Oculus software on Windows. Here are the possible reasons:
- The problem can be caused by faulty and outdated graphics, USB flash drive, and other device drivers on your PC. If the scenario is applicable, you should try updating your device drivers and then check if the issue is resolved or not.
- If you use a higher resolution which might be too important for your platform, the black screen issue may occur. You should be able to resolve the issue by reducing the resolve settings from the Oculus Debugging Tool wizard if and only the scenario is applicable.
- If you have enabled the in-game overlay feature in your graphics settings, this might be one of the reasons why you are experiencing this issue. Overlay in the game is known to interrupt[t the normal working of games and programs. So, in that case, you should try disabling the feature and then see if the problem is fixed.
- The problem may occur if you have enabled the Public Test Channel feature in Oculus. If the scenario applies, try turning off the Public Test Channel which is meant to test the beta version of the software.
- You might be dealing with some underlying system file corruption that is causing the issue at hand. In that case, you can try running an SFC scan to fix the problem.
How do I fix the Oculus Link not working?
If Oculus Link is not working on your PC or laptop, try updating your graphics and other drivers. Other than that, you can try reducing the resolution from Oculus settings, disabling in-game overlay from your graphics card settings, or turning off Public Test Channel in Oculus. if that doesn’t work, you can also check by performing an SFC scan on your PC to get rid of the problem.
Now, without much ado, let get straight to the fixes!
Read: Fix Far Cry 6 Black Screen issues on Windows PC.
Fix Oculus Link Black Screen or Not Working issues
Here are the methods that you can try to fix the black screen problem on Oculus Link or when it is not working while launching a VR game or during the gameplay:
- Make sure you have up-to-date device drivers.
- Lower the resolution.
- Turn off the in-game overlay.
- Opt out of Public Test Channel.
- Run an SFC scan.
Let us discuss the above solutions in detail now!
1] Make sure you have up to date device drivers
The black screen issue with Oculus Link can be triggered due to faulty or outdated device drivers including graphics and USB drivers. Oculus devices need special drivers that help improve the overall performance of VR games. So, the first thing to do to resolve the issue is to make sure that you have up-to-date graphics, USB drivers, and any other device drivers required by Oculus Link.
You have several options for updating your device drivers. The first method is the manual method where you can visit the official website of your device manufacturer and download the latest drivers and then install them on your system. Likewise, you can also use Windows settings, device manager, etc. to manually update graphics drivers and other drivers in Windows 11/10.
Another way to update device drivers is to download and install third-party driver update software. They allow you to update your device drivers automatically. Simply download and install these software and they will detect and update outdated drivers on your system.
After updating your device drivers, try to start Oculus Link and see if the black screen issue is resolved now. If not, there may be another underlying reason why you are having black screen issues with Oculus Link. Therefore, move on to the next potential solution to resolve the issue.
See: Fixed black screen after shutdown on Windows computer.
2]Lower the resolution
You might be facing the problem due to the high resolution setting on your PC. In this case, you can try to lower your setting i.e. the resolution. To do this, you can follow the steps below:
- First, unplug your Oculus Quest or Rift from your computer.
- Now go to the Oculus installation directory on your system. By default, you should find it in the location below:
- Then open the Support> oculus-diagnostic folder, then double-click the OculusDebugTool.exe file to run it.
- After that, in the Oculus Debugging Tool window, pull down the Encoding resolution width setting. You can also enter a value as recommended by Oculus.
- Now restart your PC to apply the changes, restart your Oculus headset, and plug the headset back into your system.
Hopefully this will fix the black screen issue with Oculus. If not, try the next potential solution to resolve the issue.
Read: Fixed black screen of death in Windows.
3]Disable in-game overlay
If the above solutions didn’t work for you, you can try disabling in-game overlay which helps run games and programs more smoothly than before. It’s kind of a workaround and it might work for you too. So, try to do it by following the steps below in the case of GeForce Experience:
- First, open GeForce Experience and click on the gear icon present in the upper right corner.
- Now go to the General tab and turn off the toggle associated with the In-game overlay a function.
- Then restart Oculus Link and VR devices to see if the issue is resolved or not.
Likewise, you can also turn off the in-game overlay feature for other graphics cards.
If you are still having the black screen issue with Oculus Link, try the next solution.
Read: Fixed a black screen with a cursor problem in Windows.
4]Disable the public test chain
If you signed up for the Public Test Channel, Oculus Link might not work as expected and you will end up experiencing the black screen issue. This is basically the Beta version of the Oculus app which is available for testing by the general public. So, if the scenario is applicable, turn off the Public Test Channel mode. Here’s how to do it:
- First, run the Oculus Link software.
- Now if you manage to get to the Settings section from the left panel, then go to the Beta tongue.
- Next, turn off the toggle associated with the Public Test Channel option.
- After that relaunch Oculus Link and see if the issue is resolved now.
See: VirtualBox displays the black screen and not the guest operating system boot.
5]Perform an SFC scan
If none of the above solutions work for you, there may be some system file corruption which leads to the black screen issue with Oculus. If the scenario applies, you should be able to resolve the issue by running a System File Checker (SFC) scan. It will basically fix all corrupt, damaged, and missing system files and might help you fix Oculus black screen issue.
Here are the steps to run an SFC scan on Windows 11/10:
- First, open the command prompt with elevated privileges.
- Now enter the command below in CMD:
- Then wait for the scan to finish, see if the issue is resolved or not.
Hope this method will solve the problem for you.
Read: How to fix Black Screen when installing new programs on Windows?
Why is my virtual office black?
You might have gotten a virtual desktop black screen due to inactivity timeout limitations or your display settings. In addition to this, it can also be caused by a power or network failure.
Does the Oculus Quest 2 come with a charger?
Yes, Oculus Quest 2 or Quest comes with a charger included in its box. To keep it in good working order, you should always charge the headset with the charger that came with it. Also avoid charging when the headset is in use. Make sure you’ve plugged in the charger correctly in case you have any issues charging your Oculus Quest 2 or Quest.