SIT finds no political connection in 2015 Bargari sacrilege cases | Latest India News

The special investigation team investigating the 2015 Bargari sacrilege case blamed Sirsa-based Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim and said there was no political involvement in the desecration that sparked violent protests across Punjab.

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Saturday delivered the 467-page SIT report to Sikh community leaders, including Chamkaur Singh and Major Singh Pandori, officials said.

The SIT headed by SPS Inspector General of Police Parmar investigated the three cases related to the Bargari sacrilege incident and submitted its report to the state DGP on April 21. HT saw a copy of the report.

Naming Gurmeet Ram Rahim as the defendant in the three desecration incidents, the SIT report states that the motive “is to have a direct link with the Dera Sacha Sauda and that the defendants involved in these cases are supporters of the said dera”. .

“It appears from the elements/evidence collected by the SIT of the Punjab police that the defendants had a direct link with the leadership of the dera. The motive behind the incidents also had a connection to the film ‘MSG-2’,” the SIT report said.

The incidents related to the theft of a ‘bir’ (copy) of Guru Ganth Sahib, the posting of handwritten sacrilegious posters and torn pages of the holy book found scattered in Bargari had taken place in Faridkot in 2015.

These incidents led to protests in Faridkot. During police firing on protesters in October 2015, two people were killed at Behbal Kalan while some people were injured at Kotkapura in Faridkot.

The SIT submitted its final investigation report based on a full and thorough investigation of the three instances of sacrilege, Parmar said.

“The SIT collected compelling material and circumstantial evidence and named 12 defendants, including Ram Rahim, and filed indictments against them in these cases. We have completed our investigation as the evidence does not lead to any further involvement in these cases,” he said.

Several Sikh political formations and parties, including the Congress and the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), had blamed the incidents on the chairman of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), Sukhbir Badal, and former Punjab CM Parkash Singh Badal. The final report, however, does not mention any involvement of the then SAD-BJP government, nor the Badals.

Last year, the Central Bureau of Investigation handed over the documents and records related to the 2015 incidents to the Punjab Police SIT on the instructions of the Punjab and Haryana High Court. In 2015, the then SAD-BJP government handed over the three cases to the CBI for investigation.

The Punjab government had handed over the investigation to a State Police SIT in September 2018 after the State Assembly passed a resolution withdrawing its consent for the CBI to investigate the cases, noting the absence progress in the investigation.


  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Parteek Singh Mahal is a multimedia correspondent based in Faridkot, Punjab. It covers medical education, politics and policing of Punjab.
    …See the details

Harry D. Gonzalez